
Dad, Scott, Farah, and Captain MurdockToday at 4:00 we attended a small ceremony at Hickey Park in Lemoore, CA to honor the memory of Uncle Fred. There is a model of the plane that Uncle Fred flew while in the Navy. Underneath the plane is a marker and plaque dedicated to his memory and service. The plane will be painted and restored, with Uncle Fred's name painted on the plane and his squadron, and logo. It is a great honor to be recognized, and Scott special requested the honor from our long time friend Captain Murdock.


8 comments:
That is great. I wish I could have been there. Thanks for sharing. And thanks to Scott for the special request.
Thank you Karen, I wish that you could have been here also. Next time you're in CA, we'll take you to the memorial.
Dad called me yesterday when he was driving down to your house for the ceremony. I just have to say "Awesome". I am thinking this had a bit to do with Scott's doing.
That is really nice!
Yes Amy, Scott had a lot to do with having this commissioned. He had hoped that the plane would be restored when the presentation was made; however it was not possible. Still it is a nice tribute, and the plane will be completed by this summer.
Wow! what a nice tribute.
Sorry about the kind of tardy comment (HPT). Freddie was a great guy. I had known him and Eddie because of Ernie of course, but we became better acquainted during an algebra class we had together one semester at Mt. SAC. Going surfing with Ernie and him (was it Trestles?) in his very cool Chevy panel wagon (hot rod, powered by a big Chevy or Buick) was an unforgettable experience. His loss was very sobering to me and because we love the Fortners it made the Viet Nam experience especially personal for the all of the Terrills. We found his name finally, after dark and in the rain on the Viet Nam War Memorial, Veterans Day 2007. Hooray for Freddie!!
Aunt Barbara,
Thank you for your comment, and thanks for sharing your memory of Freddie. I did not know that you knew him! :)
Post a Comment